At Family Acupuncture & Wellness we specialize in the providing acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine treatments for male and female infertility. Having helped hundreds of couples in their quest for a family, we have established ourselves as the Portsmouth NH/Seacoast NH experts in the natural treatment of infertility, and are proud to have one of the busiest Traditiona Chinese Medicine fertility practices in the northeast.
We commonly receive referrals from several of the area’s fertility specialists, and are very comfortable working with couples who are trying to conceive naturally, or with the help of a western fertility expert.
Scientific Studies on Acupuncture Treatment for Infertility
Scientific studies have shown that Acupuncture can affect Male and Female fertility in the following ways:
- Improve ovarian function yielding higher quality eggs
- Regulate hormones for increased production of follicles
- Increase blood flow to the uterus and increase the thickness of the uterine lining
- Prevent uterine contraction post IVF embryo transfer
- Reduce the side-effects of IVF medications
- Improve sperm count, motility, morphology and reduce sperm DNA fragmentation
- Increase chance of conceiving
- Decrease chance of miscarriage
- Relax and de-stress
3 Types of Patients Who Benefit Most from Acupuncture Treatments for Infertility
- Those seeking to enhance the effectiveness of their ART, IVF, and IUI treatments. Several studies published in western medical journals within the last few years have demonstrated that acupuncture can increase the success rate of IVF treatments significantly. Given the high financial and emotional costs associated with these treatments, many patients come to us seeking to maximize their chances. For these patients we are happy to work with their western fertility team and to design a treatment plan customized to suit their western treatment schedule. For patients who are currently undergoing cycles of fertility drugs, we choose to only treat with acupuncture to prevent any potential interactions between the western and herbal medicines.
- Those wishing to enhance their fertility without the use of western treatment. Acupuncture and Chinese Herbal medicine have been effectively used in this way for more than two millennia. Modern scientific research into the detailed inner-workings of the reproductive cycle and the pivotal role of the endocrine system, as well as a new understanding for the specific effects that TCM treatments have on these systems have greatly increased the modern TCM practitioner’s ability to enhance their patients’ fertility using only these natural interventions.
- Those who have been told that there are no other options. Many patients are drawn to Chinese medical treatments for fertility after hearing stories of its success that seem almost miraculous. Certainly not everyone who undergoes treatment will have success. Yet by using a truly holistic approach of treating the whole person (and in many cases, the whole couple) and employing strategies to gradually change the delicate environment where conception and gestation occur, Chinese medicine is often able to yield successful results for couples who have failed with other methods. At Family Acupuncture & Herbs we use a special treatment protocol for couples who have failed with IUI and IVF that employs acupuncture, Chinese herbal medicine, as well as dietary and lifestyle modifications.
We find that all three of these types of patients benefit greatly by taking time to prepare the woman’s body prior to attempting conception. By addressing the pattern of imbalance indicated by a Chinese medical diagnosis, complaints such as irregular and painful periods, PMS, and endometriosis often improve dramatically. These reductions in symptoms are often accompanied by noticeable changes in the quality of the period itself, quantifiable changes in hormonal levels, and improvements in the quantity and quality of viable eggs harvested during IVF. Our patients regularly report significantly reduced levels of anxiety and stress, and enhanced feelings of overall well-being.
We are always happy to schedule a free consultation for those couples with questions about how acupuncture and Chinese medicine can enhance their fertility.